Wednesday 20 June 2012

A toddler friendly lunch - grilled cheese sandwiches

As some of you may know, my little son is about to turn two. Up to now he has been very good with his meals and will eat almost anything you present to him on a plate.

Until now. 

He will graciously take his seat at the table but it really depends what mood he's in as to whether he will eat his meal or not. Sometimes, especially breakfast, he will finish his meal and then search for seconds. Other times he will shout and tantrum and throw his cutlery.

I have here a meal that he hasn't yet turned down, even when he's been in a monstrous mood! Grilled cheese sandwiches. 

I know they're a very simple meal and although they are fried (not grilled as the title suggests), they are not greasy. If you choose your ingredients well they're actually a nice healthy snack.

You will need:
- 2 slices of bread per person (we used wholemeal)
- roughly 40g sliced cheddar (or cheese of choice) for each person
- a little margarine.

You could also add chopped onion, tomatoes, peppers etc for an extra tasty snack. I didn't have any of these in my pantry when making this batch.

Before you start preparing your sandwich, pop your frying pan on a low heat, you don't need anything in it as the margarine on your sandwich will ensure it doesn't stick. Take care not to let it burn.

To begin with you need to spread the margarine over your bread. I used a low fat spread and applied it generously.


Place a slice of bread spreaded side down on a fish slice.
Cover your bread with your sliced cheese.


Take your other slice of bread and place it spreaded side up on top over your sandwich. 


Carefully slide your sandwich into the frying pan. The pan should be hot by now if you popped it over the heat earlier and your sandwich should sizzle immediately!


You're nearly there.
You just need to let the sandwich 'fry' for 2-3 minutes each side, just until they're golden and a little crispy. 



They're really tasty and a great little compromise for a toddler prematurely experiencing the terrible twos!
Of course these are not just for toddlers. You could serve these with a side salad for a light lunch or afternoon snack. I bet they'd even be nice for breakfast occasionally.



I have a list of recipes that I'm keen to try soon and when I do I'll probably post them here, if they turn out nicely that is.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.
Love,
Kaye xx


2 comments:

  1. Grilled cheese sandwiches are pretty much a staple in every Canadian home. My youngest was a horrible eater when he was younger, but he would always eat a grilled cheese too. We always serve them with carrot & celery sticks, ranch dip and a dill pickle! Have a lovely week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie, thanks for commenting! Wow, I read your blog daily so I'm a little starstruck :)

    Grilled cheese sandwiches aren't too common over here at all, in fact I've always wondered what they actually were! They've definitely become a staple here now as they're so versatile.
    Hope you have a lovely week too! Kaye xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment, I will always try and reply. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my blog.