Tuesday 19 June 2012

Choc Chip Banana Bread

Thought I'd share a spot of baking with you today. This is deliciously addictive, especially served warm with a drizzle of cream over it. 

It takes some time to make but it is worth it and fills your house with a gorgeous baked banana aroma. Makes me want to go bake it again just thinking about it!

You will need:
1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (I used 4 bananas)
- 2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chopped small (plain, milk or white)


Make it your first step to preheat your oven to 170*C and grease your loaf tin. (If your oven is not in Celsius there's a useful temperature conversion chart here.) 
As you can see from the picture I used a new, unused kitchen sponge to grease my tin with vegetable oil.


I then roughly lined my tin with baking parchment, (greaseproof paper).



Cream your butter and sugar together in a mixer them add in your mashed bananas, vanilla and eggs.


If you haven't already, chop your chocolate, (unless using chocolate chips)



In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate. Add to the wet mixture and mix lightly until just moistened.




The time has come to pour your banana batter into your loaf tin. In my opinion this is the trickiest bit as it's a lumpy batter.


Using tin foil, create a tent over your banana bread batter like the picture below.


Bake in your preheated oven for about 30 minutes and then remove the foil.

After that 30 minutes it should look like this:


It clearly isn't baked but it now needs to go back into the oven. 
I had to bake mine for another 30 minutes, despite the recipe advising just 10 so please just keep checking your cake as after all this work it would be a shame to burn it. 

Next time I may use 2 loaf tins to quicken cooking time, I think my loaf tin was too small for the amount of batter I was baking.

But, when it's all done and ready, make yourself a hot beverage - I chose coffee - and cut yourself a wedge of delicious choc chip banana bread. 

Try to save some for others to enjoy too!



Enjoy your day.
Love,
Kaye xx








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave me a comment, I will always try and reply. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my blog.